Re: Live Looping versus using Pre-Recorded Loops

I remembered when reading about the first sampler and thinking "wow,
finally... that's my instrument!" But all samplers had this stupid
limitation that a sound could not be played back instantly after being
sampled. Then I read about this guy calling himself Mixmaster Morris
saying that he was doing "live sampling" and I thought he had found a
cure for that limitation - but a quick check on his music proved me
wrong about that.

In the absence of real live sampling devices we had to live with delay
units customized with a feedback loop, which a bit of a drag (and
still is). My vision of a real live sampler is a device that
integrates sampling and patten sequencing with all editing accessible
during playback as well as during recording. The Octatrack by Elektron
seems close but it amazes me that not more developers make software
like this! The Mobius software is a beast in its own right here,
thanks to its built-in scripting, but the funny thing is that it was
not designed for doing what it actually is best at doing ;-)  It seems
random plays a big part in how new groundbreaking instruments come
into this world. The EDP, born out of performing musician's vision, is
an exception though... well actually not, since one of its coolest
features, "loop windowing", first was regarded a bug to be terminated
from the code ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com