RE: livelooping. organic

>From my experiance I can vouch for the following

Korg ESX / EMX .... PERFECT to use live in realtime...the only thing you cant do live is deep pattern editing and recording and adding that content into a loop...however it is quick enough to do that whilst " offline"..ive done gigs where I sample a single word "Rhubarb" or something, and then quickly assign that as the sole element to all drum tracks and the 2 keyboard pitched tracks assigned to a scale on the arp...you can then create everything you need through the start and end point knobs and ptch and modulation routings.... best part is having motion sequences all over the shop..on the parts them selves , on the effects three fx routings plus busses...its insane...if this had an electron badge it would be over a grand easy.

Korg ER ii..... this was what i graduated off, it can be played live off its buttons but even better off a trigger pad such as a handsonic...its much simpler then the ESX but it has that virtual analog thing going on so its very versatile for non-human drumming styles. switching between record and play is easy and whilst you cans store creations whilst it is running like you can on the ESX , you can move to a new blank patch..therefore if you chain many blank patches together it is ripe for building a beat, then completly abandoning it and moving to a fresh patch then creating something new with new sounds etc ....again all live and in realtime.

EMU command Station....... wow this is the most over specced beast ever....again its almost TOO powerful to understand...but if you trim away and disable all the stuff you dont need, write yourself some blank patched with common values such as 4 bars,  bars 16 bars 32 bars.... you can use these as a time base to fill in up to 16 tracks of sounds...the logic behind their approach to drums is momumentally counter intuative..but for melodic instruments you can have a whole host of sounds that can be input live through either the onboard pads, external controllers or by turning on the steps live and then tuning them in  a separate step..again all whilst running.

CONVERSELY

The MC series are counter intuative and not useful for live from scratch music creaton...they are definatly more aimed at the " build before remix live " brigade.

talking of remix...there is the Yamaha Rem1x...supposedly it is built for live use..but i just cant seem to get to grips with it, again i think it might be using a differant interpretation of live to me.

finally there is the Tenori-on , its a real marmite product, i personally LOVE it...I have just filmed the first of a few guides to using it for youtube, i will give you  a shout when i have that up on line if you would be interested.

in the meantime, I would say give it a go if you have access to the tools...its imense fun and the possibilities for not just building a piece but building then dropping some parts then changing others then adding in some more sounds then replacing tiny fragments...its a really good way to play.

Phill MyOneManBand

www.youtube.com/phillwilson