Re: RE: livelooping. organic

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, Anders Bergdahl wrote:
YEs and no.. there quite a few musicians using synth and drummachines in a live manner, creating drum loops and synth sound/sequences/loops as they improvise live.. Quite usual in a lot of techno/IDM today..
From my experience, though, most are augmenting pre-existing sequences by adding/subtracting notes and by switching, in real time, between different tracks that have been pre-written.

I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am, Anders, because I want to be knowledgeable) but I would venture to say that very, very few are composing sequences in real time.

I say this as an experienced drum machine programmer. It's one thing to customize by adding and subtracting to tracks you've already written but it takes too much time to program an entire sophisticated drum machine
pattern in real time.

I know there are a lot of programs that have algorithmic changes that are possible (Stylus RMX, for example), but quite frankly, I think they can produce interesting patterns but they do NOT, imho, sound like real drummers drumming. I'm probably a lot more sophisticated than most listeners but I can spot those kinds of programs a mile
away when people are using them live.

Okay,  edu-ma-cate me..........