Re: livelooping. organic

Dear Rick,

you said:
From my experience, though, most are augmenting pre-existing sequences by adding/subtracting notes and by switching, in real time, between different tracks that have been pre-written.
Yes, and from my experience, most people who do live-looping (whatever that may be) simply use something like a Boss RC-50, record a track, then record another one, and then have them play while they solo on top of them. And there's very very few that do the odd "EDP gone crazy" schtick so some of us can enjoy it.

Of course, most drum machines are not optimized for patterns being programmed from scratch in realtime - that's not the original main use case, and only a few implementations have moved away from that main use case (just as only a few looping devices have moved away from the "one-man-band" use case). Sidenote: the Dave Smith/Roger Linn "Tempest" seems to be in part optimized for doing just that - programming patterns from scratch while performing:
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/tempest/index.html

I'd actually like to challenge you to try and program drum patterns live, and see where it can take you. In addition to a drum machine which might allow both step editing while the sequencer is running AND pattern sequencing (such as the Quasimidi Sirius), Ableton Live works well for that - during my 2006 tour (including my appearance at your festival), I would sometimes generate a drum beat on the fly by a combo of sequencing a pattern and drawing it in drumroll notation on the screen:
http://moinlabs.bandcamp.com/track/i-left-my-pants-in-san-francisco

So, summarizing:
You're right that only a few people do it. But some do. And you should try that, too ;).

         Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/moinlabs