Re: Re: Bill Frisell a master at work.. some great use of looping

On 7/22/64 11:59 AM, mark francombe wrote:
I suspect hes a bit like Torn right? I have to admit that watching David Torn in one of these hundreds of New Jazz trios with his (oh so experimental) feedback, also does NOTHING for me... however, I have heard LOTS of Torn that puts him into a very interesting place.. Splattercell for example... I hope Frissel is the same...

Bill Frisell is such an eclectic artist, Mark, that it is virtually impossible to
judge him based on a single recording.

He tours through Santa Cruz a lot and I see him every chance I get (3 or 4 times already and
missed as many).

He always has a different group........sometimes he plays really roots Americana...... sometimes he's more experimental , live looping, sometimes he does jazz things,
sometimes he's funky.

I actually think of him as one of the top most important jazz musicians in the US right now
(another favorite is Brian Blade).

But he's very eclectic. I've even seen shows where the style of music he's mining is not particularly resonant with me, aesthetically........he tends to like country a lot more
than I do.

But he's really amazing in concert and I've never seen him do the same thing twice.
A deep, deep, deep musician, imho.

yours,   Rick