Why NOT Looping has been good for me.

Hi folks

the last ca. 1,5 years, I haven't been very active on LD - and also, I
haven't been looping much. Well, all I can say is that NOT looping has
actually been a very good experience for me. So, I'd like to share a few
details:
- 1. First of all, I have played much more often together with other
people. Compared to making music happen together with real people, looping
by myself was more of an autistic experience - a lot of fun, but mostly
self-serving.
- 2. I actually get to practice my real instruments more thoroughly.
Instead of i.e. looping overdubs, it can be more challenging to actually
try to play polyphonic etc.
- 3. I actually spend more time with real music. Not with technical
looping gear details but with simply directly playing music and immersing
into music.

So, to sum it up, without live looping it has been: more real people, more
real instruments, more real music.

Now, don't get me wrong. You don't need to explain me the benefits - or
actually the sheer love - of live looping.
To bring in another perspective, the "Love" of live looping may have been
lost for me for one of the following reasons in the recent years:
- A. Switching from hardware looper to software looping:
I used to enjoy so much switching my Mackie mixer and the RC-50... With
software, I've spent so much time debugging problems, configuring
applications, coding scripts...
- B. Moving from stereo to mono:
I told myself that I don't really need stereo and could save on the CPU
performance. But before, it was so much fun panning the different loops on
the "stereo canvas" or spreading a loop wide with reverb and pan delay...
- C. Removing foot pedals with desktop midi controllers:
I convinced myself that I could get rid of footcontrollers (and I actually
did). A midi controller on the table does usually have more buttons,
slides etc. and offers more parameters. But there is a certain fluidity &
joy to foot pedals...

That being said, I've reluctantly picked up live looping again, but with a
more relaxed approach. So, for now, I'm actually quite happy with some
very basic live looping on an RC-2 pedal...

Just wanted to share these thoughts with you.
Best regards
Buzap

PS: Maybe the best part of the live looping experience has been this forum
actually :-)