Re: OT: Imaginary 3D music grid.. scales needed.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:09 AM, mark francombe
<markfrancombe@gmail.com> wrote:

> But heres the interesting thing, and the thing I need help with..
> The space can be quantised... Currently there are are 5 types: OFF,
> Chromatic, Major, pentatonic and one more mode that I dont quite
> understand.
>
> But.. none of the quantise settings really work so that, ANY XYZ works
> musically...

> What we want is that any place in that grid gives a pleasing harmony...
> NOT looking for discord or tension here... thats quite possible
> already...

Very cool thing there, Mark! I'm assuming that by "pleasing harmony"
and no "discord/tension" you want to avoid point on that grid where
intervals as half or whole note occur. I can definitely see that will
happen a lot with CV quantisation matching a chromatic scale but even
with a harmonic scale I can't see a way to avoid a few "devilish grid
points". If using the simple C-D-E-F-G-A-B seven steps split (or in
your case 15 steps as you want two octaves and probably also the
highest note to be a prime) there must be some points where X
generates an F note and Y generates an E note, etc etc.

Idea #1:
Wouldn't it just be easier to try not moving your finger over those spots?

Idea #2:
How about splitting the scale into two halves? Keeping the clashing
notes aside into two alternative scales that you may shift between by
a button/foot-switch. Imagine the first scale as C-E-G-B and the
second scale as D-F-A-C. Then the same grid would let you play four
octaves, rather than two, with the same "finger movement's
resolution". Both the X and the Y axis should do simultaneously do the
same scale and both will change as you step the shift switch. With
this two-scales-shift approach any point in the grid will sound
harmonic and you will be able to play melodies and funky chord
patterns with the shift button on your left hand/foot.

Idea #3:
How about an inverse scale on one of the sides? That would mean that
if you draw your pinky from the left bottom corner to the top right
corner one voice will go down the scale while the other voice will go
up the scale. And at the center point they will meet in one unison
note to descend out both directions. Idea inspired by the ring
modulator as well as by the Chapman Stick tuning of one fretboard with
strings in fourths steps and another mirrored/inverse fretboard with
strings tuned in fifths steps; resulting in the same geometrical
finger moves on the two fretboards producing two scales running
opposite directions.

Some food for thought.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen