] [Thread Prev
Ableton & Odd meters (was: Is it Ableton Live - or is it me?)
> > [on Ableton:] How am I going to switch from 4/4 to 7/8?
> Manually, by using the mouse. Unfortunately.
Yeah, just figured that out. I'm not able to set any keyboard or midi
shortcuts for global meter. :-( (maybe some Mac Automation workaround?)
I'm still experimenting with Ableton Live & Odd meters.
- You can set a tempo for each scene. This way, you can duplicate a scene,
assign different tempo to it and every time you switch scene global tempo
will adjust. (Nice stuff, alas, no key/midi mapping possible)
- I have created a file with default scenes where each scene has a midi
clip with 4/8, 3/8, 5/8, 7/8 or 11/8 meter. This sounds much better than
the obnoxious metronome and can be good starting point for an odd meter
loop. (i.e. close/open hihat 7/8: one-two,one-two,one-two-three).
- This way, I can start with the default file, select the scene with my
desired meter, start playing this scene with my desired midi clip
- Set global tempo to x/8 (with mouse :-( )
- Duplicate the scene with my desired tempo several times - and there
- Alternatively, probably you could create various files with different
meters (maybe, with midi controller software: i.e. open prepared file for
each meter setting?)
- I have prepared 9 audio tracks. I have assigned Number Pads 1-9 on
keyboard to mount track 2-10 for recording.
- When I launch a scene, all other tracks playback and the mounted track
starts recording - sweet! (you need to select global preference "record on
launch ON" to be able to do this, though)
[on Kid Beyond]
> The most important part is to use a third-
> party software that translates external (controller) MIDI events
Yes, thank you. I have actually posted an update on Kid Beyond's setup,
since he's switched from Windows to Powerbook Mac.
When I have a choice, I actually always opt for the hardware choice. So,
I'll wait for my RC-50 and give it a chance. Still, Ableton is very
tempting. Especially combining loops with the effect section is very
Now I need to experiment with effects. If the Ableton setup works, I could
get a footcontroller.
"Feel free" – 10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS/Monat ...
Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail