Re: Practice, rehearse, perform

However, I wonder if we're interested in this type of performance because
we're musicians.  I'm sure it has some appeal to the non-musician
audience, but I'm sure not to the same degree.

I once played a gig with a pop band where I was asked to do a show after
only being in the band a week.  They were fairly complicated songs and
there was no way I could learn them all in time.  I basically learned
what keys things were in and some of the basic chord structures to a few
of them.  Most of the time I had my volume all the way down.  I was
totally hamming it up, mostly because I thought it was funny.  My
girlfriend kept pointing at the guitar and giving me the "I can't hear
you" sign.  After the show I informed her that I wasn't really playing
most of the time.  HA!  The lead singer totally complemented me, as did
some of the audience.

I'm just hoping that there wasn't some guitar player in the audience
thinking, "This guy isn't really playing, what the fuck?"  I may just try
a show where I play a CD of my work while I fool around with my gear and
fake guitar and stuff.  Then I'll know...

Mark Sottilaro