Re: In search of a NEW effect --- was: Fill my rack!

It depends on what you mean by "hardware" and "software".  If it's
digital processing, then whether or not there's a standalone hardware
platform (i.e. a rackmount unit) seems somewhat secondary.  Analog
hardware gets expensive quickly, so if something new came out, many
people would say "Geez---that's too much money, couldn't I get there
for free in software?"

Personally, I'm unaware of great new software effects.  All the "map
some aspect of sound to some other aspect of aspect of sound perhaps
in a non-linear manner" stuff never floated my boat, either sounding
like some bizarre autowah/ring modulator or just like broken gear, and
not in a desirable manner.

What software-only effect has come out in the last five years that's
established itself as a modern classic?  I'm not being facetious, just
asking for an informed overview from those who have been keeping track
of that area of sound modification.