Optimizing Windows for looping

In my last email, I asked about looping in linux, not really expecting much because i did look for a suitable audio environment before i asked, and hoped maybe someone here knows more than I do. Anyways, I like windows, but I have an issue with all the background processes and all the extra space windows takes up. Does anyone have any tips to fine-tuning windows so that really all that runs is bidule and the VST's and VSTi's and nothing else? (or at least nothing unnecessary?)

Thanks,
Charlie