RE: Beyond Fripp (long)

Andre says,

>One thing that I would have to say is that Fripp is the first person I'm
>aware of who was using real-time looping in a live performance context.
>I know he didn't invent reel-to-reel tape loops, or any other mechanical
>looping principle.  But I haven't heard of anyone previous to him who
>actually took the gear out into the "real world" and performed live
>concerts using this sort of hardware.  (If there is indeed historical
>prescedent for this before Fripp, please feel free to correct me).

Ok, here goes, Andre:

I recommend reading my "History of Looping" article on our web site - it
will
tell you about Terry Riley who used loops years before Fripp in many live
concerts, and who probably invented this thing years before Eno
experimented
with it.

Michael Peters
private:        100041.247@compuserve.com