OT: distortion pedal advice

Hey all -

I know this is completely unrelated, but I thought I could benefit from the
collective wisdom of the loopers.

I'm looking for a distorion pedal.  I have a Danelectro overdrive, but I
feel like it may be too warm a sound, and I have some feeling that it might
be adding a lot of noise to my signal.  Then again I'm not sure, because I
live in electro-magnetic guitar hell (I get the radio over my amp sometimes
- it's hard to concentrate when Barbra Streisand starts singing through
your amp).  I'm really more into a more metallic synthetic grit than a warm
fuzz.  I'm particularly a Prince fan, but you could think NIN, Duran Duran,
vs. the warm fuzzy classic rock sound.

I'm thinking something in the RAT family.  I've heard good things.  Or
maybe I'm just missing something as far as amp/tone/pedal settings go (the
Danelectro pedal has high mid and bass knobs).

Any opinions?

Michael