Re: beginner guitar synth questions - stompbox DIY

Legion's post reminded me of some early experiments
with stompbox FX I undertook when I first got into
electronic music.

At the time, since I couldn't afford a "real synthesizer",
I imagined ways of creating an abstract "synth" using the
crappy old stomp boxes of the day, moldering away in pawn
shops and junky music stores. Of course, I could have built
things too, but that's a different story.

I started with a typical monosynth architecture as a guide
to which role each effect would play in my "synth design",
i.e., based on VCO + VCF + VCA, ala Moog, Arp, and Roland.
Basically, a subtractive synthesis architecture.

[For the uninitiated, VCO = 'Voltage-Controlled Oscillator', your
sound/pitch source; VCF = 'Voltage-Controlled Filter', usually
a Low Pass filter, or a combination or Low Pass and High-Pass. You
can think of this as timbre control - how the sound changes, its
character); and finally, VCA = Voltage-Controlled Amplifier, which
controls the volume, loudness and dynamics of your sound. Any one,
or all, of these components may be routed through an Envelope
Generator (EG), which creates the shape of the sound across the time.
The typical VCA has controls for Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release,
hence, EGs are commonly referred to as ADSR, AD, or AR, depending on
the type of EG. For more info on synthesizer theory, search the Web
for "subtractive synthesis".]

So given this type of architecture, it's relatively simple to
categorize various stompboxes under each functional relationship:
either it's a VCO-, VCF-, or VCA-related effect.

My first concept was something like this:
Guit.(VCO)--> Pitch-Shifter (sub-oscillator) --> Envelope Filter --> Rex50
(ADSR) --> Amp

In the VCO category, the Guitar is the pitch source, with a pitch shifter
as a sub-oscillator (commonly found on Roland monosyths). You can also
side-chain a stereo chorus or flanger before or after the pitch-shifter
to fatten up the sound.

In the VCF category, the envelope filter was a crummy Cry Baby Volume/Wah
(and an old 7-band Graphic EQ) to control the overall tone and timbre. The
Wah allowed realtime parameter tweeking ;).

For the VCA section, I used a Yamaha REX50, a little-appreciated
multi-effects box with a nifty ADSR patch I used to control the
dynamics or the output stage. Another wild and useful patch is
the Pan - which behaves like an LFO - also another useful
synth-like function.

Other "synth design" pedals, like envelope followers, phase
shifters, tremelos, etc, add considerable sonic variety to
your bag of tricks. Add a patchbay, and you've got a semi-modular
psuedo-synth!! :)

Adding a looping rig and the noise-making possibilities become
mind-boggling.

Later,
- Larry