Re: Any comments on the Akai Headrush?

> >Unfortunately, each of the delays run in sync
> > with each other - there's no way to run each echo
> > independent of each other, which would be really like
> > having 4 tape machines. Are any manufacturers listening?
> >
> > - Larry T
>
> Hey--I'm all for adventure, but I gotta think 9 out of 10 looping digital
> delay consumers WANTS the echoes to have a relationship to each
> other--whereas the all-in-one multitrack non-synchronous lag time
> accumulator is kind of a niche market.  Couldn't you put one together
>from
> existing hardware?   Four EDPs or whatever--your favorite or favorites.

My immediate wise-ass rejoinder is: 9 out of 10 loopers sound alike. ;)

Seriously though, the reason much of Eno's stuff (for instance) sounds
so organic, unforced and free-floating is due, in part, to the
non-synchronized nature of his loop machines. It's much freer I think,
and purer to the ambient spirit. Otherwise, looping is reduced to
nothing more than a parlor trick of real-time, multi-tracking. IMO,
quite restricted and limited possibilities.

On the other hand, having the best of both worlds would be ideal:
the choice of sync or non-syncronized "layers" in real-time, and
NOT tied down to a computer. Who can afford 4 EDP's?

Among other things, I currently use 4 RDS 7.6's, an RDS-8000, the AKAI
Headrush and 2 DFX-94's. Even though it's all wire up to a patch bay,
it's not exactly portable. :)

Later,
- Larry T