Re: RE: bad night, or: instruments

In a message dated Wed, 28 Jun 2000  3:29:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
"Mike Biffle" <mbiffle@svg.com> writes:

Well... we can't all be acoustic musicians! Honestly... computers, movie
projectors, espresso machines, are all components in well established
commercial venues. It's usually the exception that they fail and destroy a
"performance". It's sad when it happens, but fact is... some sounds and
experiences are impossible without power and connectivity. If that's truly
a good reason for someone to eschew that style of expression, so be it.
Don't stray far from acoustic expression.

-Miko

I couldn't live on a diet of acoustic alone, and I'm not suggesting anyone
should.  Nor am I suggesting in the least that being solely electric is
bad either, no way.  I like my devices a lot, whether they are EDP or
espresso machine.

My point: A $7 cable can fuck up a performance.  $7 cables are as
important as $X samplers or anything else in the sense that you rely on
them.

Buying a $10 cable doesn't usually help.  Having a spare cable does.
Going through my rig every few months and checking, reconnecting, etc.
does.

I think it's great to 'be electro' or whatever.  Just  pack spares.
Having a plan B has saved me from saying 'sorry' to the audience once or
twice.

Saw Wire play in Chicago in May.  They used to use electronics to the
point where the drummer quit, having found himself unneccesary.  Now they
play guitars (with lots of stompboxes) and drums.  The reinterpretation
necessary for this made for some interesting versions of songs.

reverb = ketchup
ketchup is a vegetable
therefore reverb is a vegetable