Trey's Looping (was musicality vs. gear quality)

"by the way, without trey's use of the boomerang, i
might have never discovered the wonderful world of looping..."

No kidding!  I discovered Phish *after* I was heavily into electronic
music,
and had played around with delays and computers to some extent.  I remember
wondering to myself, "Why can't he lock that tempo down damnit!!!" as I
would hear his loops drift out of phase with the rest of the band (Think:
First Tube).  Man, it just sounded so off that I would cringe as the drift
would get out of hand.

Do you know if this was his intent, or if he was intending to keep the
loops
in phase with the tempo, but just couldn't do it live?  I've always
wondered...  Not to mention on the new TAB studio album, all the loops from
First Tube are in sync. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

-Nathan

                                                                  .-.