Re: Programming FCB1010 WAS: Re: MIDI Foot controllers?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg House" <ghunicycle@yahoo.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: Programming FCB1010 WAS: Re: MIDI Foot controllers?

> --- Paul Sanders <paul_sanders@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> > What I'm still foggy on is how to switch between "NORMAL mode" and
> > "PROGRAMMING mode".
> >
> > When I power the thing up (without holding the "Down" button) I'm in
normal
> > mode, right? Is programming mode the mode when I hold down the "Down"
button
> > after selecting a preset?
>
> Yes, that's where you program it.
>
> > Are you suggesting that I run the unit in this mode?
>
> No.
>
> > Now, I've set the thing in the mode where I program the presets by
holding
> > down the "Down" botton for  2-3 seconds, but my understanding is that
>is
how
> > I get to where I can set the balues of the PC/CC/etc for the preset
itself.
> > Once I leave that mode, if I step on a button I'm back to selecting
>that
> > preset within that bank, and that's not what I set out to do.
>
> Why isn't that what you set out to do? I don't understand. The objective
is to
> get the controller to send the desired midi messgaes to the device you're
> controlling. You do that by stepping on one of the buttons you've
programmed to
> invoke that preset, sending whatever midi commands it contains.
>
> > I figure I can have different presets set up to put the Repeater in
> > different states, but that seems obscure to me.
> >
> > I want to step on a button to tell it to play, another button to tell
>it
> > record, and another button to tell it to mute track 2, etc. When I
>power
the
> > thing up though, when I step on a button, I'm selecting a preset, not
> > sending just that single control message, unless of course I have the
preset
> > set up to send only that single control message, which seems wasteful
me.
> > Is that how I have to do it though?
>
> Yeah. The preset contains those items, whether you use 'em or not. In
lingo
> you're more familiar with, a TCP packet has a bunch of slots in it for
things
> that may or may not be present. The space is there if you need it, it's
"wasted"
> if you don't. The FCB1010 is the same idea. They present you a simple
>data
> structure that has space for 5 PC msgs, 2 fixed CC msgs, one note-on, and
the
> assignment of 2 expression pedals and two analog switches. You fill in
what you
> need (and erase what you don't need from their product-specific default
> programming...).
>
> Basically, as near as I can tell, the designers made it easier for
themselves to
> code to the hardware at the expense of the user interface. Perhaps such a
rigid
> architecture helps with latancy issues (how long it takes to send the
>midi
> commands after you press the button), I don't know. I have read how some
midi
> controllers have significant lags between when you press the switch to
when the
> command is actually sent.
>
> > I'm getting closer, but there's still something I'm missing. I've been
> > digging through the fcb1010 archives too. Seems there are a lot of
"helpful"
> > perspectives, but none that are yet clearing things up for me.
>
> You just have to do it. It'll become clear, trust me.

I think it's clear already, I just think there's some disconnect between my
thinking and other's explanation. I actually was able to program a preset
send a signal to my SPD-S to turn off the sounds, and I got that working. I
think my contention was with the scope and context of what presets.

Here is how I WANTED it to work, followed by how I now understand it to
work:

I WANTED to program an individual button to send whatever kind of MIDI
message I wanted when I pressed *that button*.

In reality, if I press button 1, it's going to fire off preset 1, which
will
send all messages programmed to be sent for preset 1.

If I want to have *button 1* send a single CC message, I have to program
preset 1 to disable all other buttons except for one of the CC buttons
(switch number 6 or 7 IIRC).

I guess the end result is the same, just a round about way to get where I
want IMO. But, for a little over $100, I guess one can't complain.

Does this now sound like I have the right idea?

Thanks!

Paul