Re: "Instrument" vs "Effect" (was: laptop-loopers (guitar)

I think most of us do that (put our effects before our looping devices),
though, right? I play "with" effects too, all before Mobius. But,
technically, we are not really playing with effects, because the effect
signal is added to your original guitar signal. So you are adding the
effects to your singal, but the addition is so blasted fast that it feels
like you are playing with effects.   But I think we are all stating the
same
thing here.  If you put your Fireworx after your looper, and used it to do
interesting things after you had already played and looped several layers
and even set your sax or guitar down, then we come back to the orginal,
fundamental question of whether your Fireworx is an instrument or an
effects
box....I want to accept that the Fireworx is an instrument in this case,
but
I won't say that it feels right. My brain says yes because it is in the
realm of possibilities, yet my gut feeling says no.  If I were really
compulsive with my gut feeling and just let it all out I'd say: "It's just
box for crying out loud...just because a person tweaks nobs, pushes
buttons
and changes parameters doesn't make the box an instrument, nor even make
him
a musician."   But that would be a bit strong for me to state explicity as
strong opinion, because there is a lot of fuzziness and semantics going on
here. We can define terms easy enough so that an effects unit is not an
instrument...that's just linguistic gymnastics; but whether an effects box
is an instrument in the same way as a guitar is a different matter. We are
getting into categories of instrumnetation of varying degrees. Okay, it's
half an instrument, and I'm half a musician by playing it. Heh heh....

Kris