Re: New free toys in Mac v10.5

Yeah, from a programmers point of view ......woohoo!

I was just looking at some of those libraries again lately .... for
anyone else who happens to write C++, the documentation on Macs Cocoa
API includes these libraries ... they are well written and
comprehensive (the docs and the libraries).

And yes, you can send clock signals from AU plugins to host apps ...
though I should mention that very view apps actually utilize this as
it makes for pretty intense code (dynamic bpm is one of those things
not so well handled as it is).

Branching to BPM tracking/shifting ......

Most external sources have rather shotty clocks (+-1ms is typical
jitter) ... which is crappy and hard to handle.

Internal sources are much better, but then you have to ask the
question what happens when we shift bpm on some track that is already
playing ?  For midi instruments and traccks its not a problem, you
just play the notes faster ... but for recorded audio you need to either:

1) shift the freq to play quicker (and then the pitch changes) or ..
2) splice the audio (cut from on position to another, fading in
between to avoid audio nonlinearities)

Number 2 is the way to go, but most applications haven't really
gotten there yet.  I have been looking at this a lot lately because
it's an area of personal interest for me.  You can devise beat
splicing algorithms that follow certain beats (straight, triplets,
clave, etc) and then intelligently splice from segment to segment if
you know the initial bpm of the audio recording .... for long
recordings this is difficult, but for short ones (ie loops) this is
quite simple.  Much cooler is when you stack/overdub on these loops
AFTER they have been spliced/bpm shifted.

For example ... take a loop and speed it up to 3x normal play, but
use a splicing algorithm that splits it up and plays segments that
fall where triplets would be on the clip.  Now stack/overdub on that
track and make some noise ....... when you re-sync the loop to normal
play, the result will be the recorded audio after the inverse of the
bpm shift (which is a recording that exists only where the triplets
would be on the audio clip).  This way you can devise some pretty
wild beats ......

Anyway, thats my 2 cents .. ciao