Apogee Duet vs. Motu Ultralite

So I picked up an Apogee Duet this week. It does sound really, really
good. I did some back to back tests with my Ultralite. It has a much
more full sound, with tighter lows and a nice warmth too it. Very
impressive sound. Its nice to have a control panel for it right in
Logic and Mainstage. The breakout cable doesn't bother me much,
you're gonna have cables connected to it anyway, so it's not that big
a deal. I miss having a midi interface built in. I would imagine the
Duet II will include this.
The only real problem I have with it is when using it with Ableton,
I'm getting some pretty crazy latency issues. It defaults to 512
samples in the buffer when you first connect it, and I was
experiencing latency of good 1/2 second. Bringing it down to 256
didn't make a difference initially. I then have to unplug the Duet,
then turn it back on, and restart Live for the change to kick in. It
then improved greatly. But adding devices to a channel sometimes
would knock back out of the setting. Although the buffer remained,
the long lag would reappear, requiring another restart. Very weird. I
made sure the drivers were the latest versions, but this still
occurs. I was getting frustrated so I plugged the Ultralite back in,
thinking I would return the Duet. I immediatly missed the sound of
the Duet. I don't think I can go back.
Does any one have any idea why it seems so sensitive to any changes I
make in Ableton?

Thanks
Chris