Re: Apogee Duet vs. Motu Ultralite

hi Chris,
I'd guess that the Duet is aimed at the recording studio
rather than live playing.
Ignoring the buffer size of 512, I've heard that within AD/DA
converters higher latency goes with higher quality, and indeed
this appears to be the case with some of my gear.

As to the 512 sample thing, it's most likely a driver issue
that hasn't been fixed because no-one complained to Apogee yet.
I had a similar problem, although it was with a Focusrite interface
on a pc, and the latest drivers fixed it right away.

There's also the possibility this may be a mac thing, a couple of
years ago I found out from a guy who does the drivert software for
one of the larger audio hardware companies that Macs always use
something called SRC( sample rate conversion) on the audio.
This innovation was, afaik, brought
in to facilitate the 'solving' of clock sync problems with multiple
devices,
...by simply avoiding the need.
Anyway, with SRC there's always a compromise between quality and latency,
the calculations are rather intensive more processor power is needed as
quality goes up. As with the Duet it's quality that's of ultimate
importance
I wonder if they simply maxed out on the SRC calculations.

andy butler