Re: Taking VSTs out on the road

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Rainer Straschill
<moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Some synths tend to sound dated after a while. Good ones don't. Of
> course, to keep the things from sounding dated may require you to
> actually invest the time and brains to get into programming some
> sounds yourself. E-mu's Proteus series modules (especially the later
> ones) offer great possibilities for that.

The early Emu models like the Procussion and the Proteus 1 sound a
little flat IMO, but with fx, Eq and compression, they came to live in
a mix. Also, the avg quality of rom samples is better now than in the
late 80's and 90's so that another reason...if you are looking for
real instruments sounds like piano, trumpets. Especially piano's are a
good example of how technology has improved.

Anyway, that's what I mean with "dated", not saying that every synth
has to sound like the real deal which was clearly THE trend in the
80's and 90's. Once the VA's and analog synths were becoming popular
in the mid 90's, the "best rompler synth" race was more or less
over...but that's another story :)
--
Sjaak Overgaauw
http://premonitionfactory.com/