Re: Quick EDP SYNC question.

At 11:10 AM 5/30/2003, Geoff Smith wrote:
>Can anyone tell me what i have to do, to do the following.
>I have 2EDPs and an Akai MPC2000
>the MPC provides the sync to both units (one is loopIV one is LoopIII)

It would be a little better if they were both LoopIV, but for now if you
have them chained in series on the midi line put the LoopIII unit after
the
LoopIV unit. That way you can connect the second unit to the MIDI out
connector of the LoopIV unit and use the MIDIpipe feature of LoopIV.
MIDIpipe intelligently routes midi clocks and other commands through so
you
can get much more flexibility in how you can control it than when using a
MIDI thru connection.

you didn't say, are trying to use these as a stereo pair? I'm going to
assume you are not. that would also likely be a problem with them being
different software versions.

>I wish to have both units synced to the mpc and for them to remain
>perfectly
>in sync forever, I wish for the multiply function to only multiply perfect
>whole multiplies (if u see what I am saying)

that is how multiply normally works, so that is fine. It always rounds off
to a cycle unless you specifically command it to do otherwise.

Oftentimes when using sync people also want things quantized, such that
commands start on the next downbeat. So you probably want the Quantize
parameter set to cycle. In LoopIV you have other options for quantize
(loop
and 8th), but LoopIII only has cycle so you might as well have them both
the same. This way, when you press multiply it will wait until the next
cycle point before it starts and things will stay metrically aligned with
your sequencer.

>and the next loop function is
>for using the loop-copy.

You probably want the SwitchQuant parameter set to Cycle also. This way
you
will always switch to another loop at the next cycle point, so things stay
in rhythm with the sequencer.

This also gives you more options for copy. The easy way to do copies is to
set the LoopCopy parameter to "sound". then it always copies the current
loop when you switch to a reset loop.

When SwitchQuant is on you have more flexibility. During the quantizing
period while it is waiting to switch loops you can command it to do
something when it gets to the new loop. Pressing Multiply during this time
does a sound copy, Insert does time copy, Record will start it recording
in
the new loop, NextLoop lets you select which loop you are going to, etc.

>I want to use all the creative functions that don't
>alter the loop length.
>I also want to be able to stop the MPC and restart everything in sync
>again.

For that, LoopIII is going to cause you problems. LoopIV has the ReAlign
function to do exactly this.

>Getting the EDPs to sync to the MPC is easy but getting them to stay in
>sync
>is hard.

do you mean it drifted or you executed functions that knocked it out of
sync? Using quantize is usually the best way to work with sync to avoid
getting things knocked out of alignment so try that.

In LoopIV you can freely dealign loops from the sync source, and then put
them back again with ReAlign. But you can't do that with the LoopIII unit.

>I want a full proof system where the loops will always be in sync
>but the insert replace and overdub functions remain unquantised i.e.
>totally
>free.
>However functions like reverse and half/speed and multiply must be locked
>the loop to not change the sync.

that means quantize on. Overdub does not quantize, so that works fine for
you. Replace however, does quantize. If you want unquantized replaces, you
would need to turn quantize off first. Replace also quantizes a little
differently in LoopIV than in LoopIII, with LoopIV being a bit smarter and
more intuitive in how it works.

kim