Re: musicality vs. gear quality (was Re: loop mud)

> yep. thing is some people get off on some things
> more
> than others, so they make different sounds that
> sometimes are not all that different.

i realize that and it kind of sucks that i didn't
choose my wording more carefully.  i've been trying to
become a spounge and feed this musical obsession that
has been growing over the years...trying to take as
much away from every encounter as possible and i guess
i haven't followed the right links to list members'
and other recommended music and became concerned that
i had gotten myself involved in a community where the
bottom line isn't music but rather the gear being used
to accomplish music (which to an extent is the purpose
of this list...but also to share musical ideas and
techniques with the group).

> I'dunno, i'm
> having a great time with a simplified rig now, no
> midi, samples. I like playing guitar so that's what
> use, but I know that my Selina likes to go some
> other
> places and I accompany her.
> actually I think we met, you were alright, I liked
> speaking with you.

we did meet and i was pretty excited to chat with you
(although briefly) about what you have been using and
why you made those choices.  i guess there is just a
priority clash with myself and some of the list
members...

> i'm not sure if I gave you any music, but would love
> to swap tunes if you'd like.

i'd be more than happy to swap stuff, but
unfortunately the most current things that i have to
offer are just random jam sessions with friends and
nothing with any real looping...i'd prefer to get
together, sync up some devices and just jam (to me,
that is what it is all really about) or even leave the
devices at home...but i'm itching to hear some
inspiring looping stuff that can open my ears to some
new approaches, ideas, and influences.  i am in the
process of putting together a project studio so that i
can have a disc ready to hand out at will...but again,
up until recently, the extent of my gear acquisition
was a yamaha 4 track and a few useless bass effect
floor boards/stomp boxes (which the only one i still
use is a boss auto-wah ---if you set the sensitivity
at about 1/4 up and everything else all the way down,
you get a pretty nice envelope filter effect).

> just use the gear, Luke. if it sucks and doesn't
> extend your over-all abilities, then question it's
> use.

i look at as if it sux...learn it better before
forgetting everything you know and just playing.

> btw, i'll be doing some type of "entertainment
> music"
> (some type of party) at Chama on Friday if anyone is
> interested in hearing some sounds.

please email off list if you are interested in jamming
at any time and give me more info on the chama
gig...if i'm available, i'd love to hear your solo
set...i noticed that you did some really cool things
during the open loop (although a lot of it got lost in
the ambience of that particular day)

sorry for so many posts in one day, but work is a bit
slow today....
e va n