Re: Any experienced Ableton users able to give me a hand?

At 9:57 AM +0100 6/5/09, Simeon Harris wrote:

>so is it possible to play a midi clip by sending it a pc message?

Eyup!  :)

>i see you can either loop the clip or have a one shot....one step at
>a time, i guess!

Yeah, I was saving all that for the last part of the configuration.

First, get the MIDI clip working the way you want it to work.

Next step is easy.  Just assign a MIDI message (e.g. program change
perhaps?) to fire the clip, the same way as you'd fire an Audio clip
from such a message.

Select the MIDI Bindings button again.  This time, click on the MIDI
clip you wish to fire.  Now send the program change you want to use
to trigger that clip.  A new binding should now appear on the left
side screen, reflecting the connection between your PC and firing the
MIDI clip.

So when you now exit the MIDI Bindings mode, you should be able to
fire the clip merely by sending that specific PC message on its
specific MIDI channel.

Some other thoughts, caveats:

Don't forget that the clips (usually) fire according to the quantize
value.  That means that if the quantize is set for one bar, the clip
will wait until the bar boundary to fire.  This may be useful (stack
up a bunch of individual clips that wait and then all fire off at the
start of a bar, for instance) or not ("why doesn't this @#$! button
work right when I press it").  If you want to turn this behavior off,
you could set the quantize value to "None".  This might cause
problems with other clips, since that value is global, but you should
be able to change the quantize value of an individual clip within its
edit pane.

If you're working in Session view, you can only have one clip playing
in each vertical column at a time.  However, you can have multiple
clips playing in a left-right row.  As a matter of fact, if you click
one of the clip slots under the Master track, it will fire every clip
in that row at the next quantize boundary.  You should also be able
to bind those Master slots to a MIDI command, so you could
conceivably use a single PC command to initiate a half-dozen MIDI
clips simultaneously.

If you wished, you could change the clips you're using on the fly by
merely moving them in and out of different rows (while binding your
Program Change to the row clip, rather than individual MIDI clips).
This is especially nice while composing, since you can try different
combinations of MIDI clips without having to redo their MIDI
bindings, or mess around with reconfiguring your foot controller.
Just swap different clips in or out of a row and fire it.

Okay, there's a little more food for thought.  Hope that helps a bit!

        --m.
--
_____
"take one step outside yourself. the whole path lasts no longer than