Re: Looper for minimal music

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> Yeah Rainer I was wondering what Simeon meant actually, because I read a
> kind of Steve Reich effect was what Andreas had in mind. for such an
> effect
> one would have to lengthen ONE track so that it went out of synch, with
> the
> others, and then on further repetions went further out.
> The Repeater wont do that. However, he said phase shifting. and then Per
> goes, Yeah Repeater..

What I was thinking about is to stereo split the tracks of a Repeater
loop. That I did a lot when I was using a Repater. But when
scrutinizing my memory I'm not sure I did long "Steve Reich phasings".
The way to achieve that would be to make one stereo track slightly
shorter or longer and to do that on a Repetar you need to tune it
up/down a cent or two.

I know software solutions is OT in this thread but in Mobius you can
do a very accurate phasing by applying a script Simeon made. It splits
the loop into two parallel loops, pans them a bit left/right and makes
one slightly shorter. I have changed that script a bit and for me the
phasing reaches its first sync point after about sixty bars, which I
think works well. Actually, I migrated most of my EDP, Repeater and
Ableton Live tricks into Mobius when picking it up seven years ago.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.perboysen.com
http://www.youtube.com/perboysen