Re: Repeater: MIDI (was record CFC)

At 12:15 PM 9/3/2001, Tom Ritchford wrote:

>MIDI program changes tell a MIDI synthesizer to switch
>to a new sound. (*)

right. as the midi spec says "When a 'program' (i.e., sound, voice, tone,
preset, or patch) is changed, the number corresponding to the newly
selected program is transmitted."

so a "program" is defined in midi as sound, voice, tone, preset, or patch.

>(* - Actually some gizmos do other things with the program changes --
>for example, lighting units might move to a new scene -- but the
>idea still holds...)

To me that still fits with the idea of a preset.

unfortunately, there are some gizmos now using program change to control
things that are not programs at all, but actual functions. (like looper
functions, for example.) This is breaking the midi spec, in my opinion.
The
reason manufacturers do this is because of the existence of simple-minded
midi pedals out there that only send program change messages. Rather than
tell users that they have to get a midi pedal with reasonable
functionality
to control a more sophisticated device than a multi-effect, the
manufacturer contorts their midi implementation to do everything possible
only using program change commands. Lexicon did this with the JamMan, and
was sad to see that Electrix is now doing it with Repeater. In the short
term it is convenient for some users who already own a simple-minded
controller. They will be happy that it is still useable. So it is
understandable that some manufacturers make this choice.

But in the long term it is harmful. For one thing it is watering down the
midi spec, which makes it hard for other manufacturers to design similar
devices since the standards become confused. It also reduces the demand
for
full-featured midi controller pedals, so those of us who wish that there
were more good pedals on the market have to wait longer and continue to
listen to the pedal manufacturers tell us that pedals are for guitar
players, guitar players are dumb, and therefore cannot understand anything
beyond a simple program change command.

And it comes back to hurt the manufacturer as well, because now they have
eliminated the possibility of supporting presets in their own device! So
for example, you can never have a future Repeater upgrade that supports
presets because program change commands have already been dedicated to
execute the basic functions, instead of being left available for their
intended purpose of changing presets.... Users with basic midi controllers
would be really unhappy with a future upgrade that takes that away. So the
manufacturer becomes stuck with this choice....

kim